24 Apr 2002
(updated 24 Apr 2002 at 10:12 UTC) »
This week I took time that I didn't have to code two
long-overdue features for Audacity:
Ogg exporting and command-line exporting. There was no good
reason why I hadn't written these features yet and I got
tired of Audacity not having them, so I caved and tabled all
my homework (including "compose a three voice fugue") to
write these new features.
Ogg exporting is working nicely, and though command-line
exporting works fine for me on my little-endian Athlon, I
forgot to add code for byte-swapping the WAV header. Matt
wisely suggested I dump my custom WAV code and just use
libsndfile like the rest of the PCM exporting code does.
Though it won't be as efficient since we have to copy the
data in and out of libsndfile's buffers, the robustness and
reliability will be worth it.
The gap between Audacity's 0.9 branch (which we are
releasing from these days) and the 1.1 branch (which we are
hacking on) is becoming wider all the time. The 1.1 branch
has so many significant improvements over the 0.9 branch
that I wish we could dump the 0.9 branch completely. But
then we would lose some of the freedom to make drastic
changes on a regular basis, so it's probably a good thing in