Running Linux inside Virtual PC 7 for Mac (cont.)
Victory!!! X running!!!
The basic steps were
- install Debian (I dist-upgraded to unstable)
- install xserver-xfree86
- install x-window-system-core
- choose the S3 graphical chipset
- choose the "macintosh" keyboard type
- choose "/dev/psaux" as mouse device
- choose "ImPS/2" as mouse type
I don't know whether that's minimal since some trial and error was done until it worked. I think it is enough to install xfree86-common instead of 2 and 3 for instance. Also I need to work out some minor details yet, as keyboard layout.
The great news are that since Virtual PC abstracts the guest OS from some host hardware stuff, the touchpad of the PowerBook works out of the box (including SideTrack's scrolling), Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse work like a charm, Ctrl-click works as right-click just fine, nothing needs to be done to switch between Ethernet and wifi, it works out of the box, etc. Impressive!