Started coding for the third and last data structures assignment. Still picking the appropriate structures though I now have a general idea of the strategy to follow. Gotta keep working on this, trying to have it finished by the end of the week (hmm, too optimistic perhaps). And the Algebra exam is just around the corner too.. gotta keep breathing.
Made some progress today. It seems they're not adding new phrases for the time being and that suits me just fine. Decided to translate most of the short strings so my morale would go a bit up (eg. translating a lot of sentences and watching the 'missing translatins' counter go down 8) We're trying to have this kinda done by next monday (unlikely). Will this ever end?
Kernel & friends
Decided to take the afternoon to get swsusp to work. In case you didn't know, swsusp is a kernel patch for Linux which allows one to 'pseudo' suspend the machine by writing the machine state data into disk, building an image which can then be used upon reboot to resume the system to the state it was before being suspended.
It seems the 2.5 patch is broken ever since 2.5.53, according to #kernelnewbies folks so I decided to patch a 2.4.20 with it (and acpi too even though it doesn't really depend on it). There's a shell script written to aid suspending the system (suspend.sh) so I grabbed off the net and tried using it. No luck. Had to hack it a bit and write a couple of scripts to bring my ethernet link up and down. So now it would bring up swsusp messages, preparing to suspend etc.. but it would complain about being out of memory. Turns out I didn't have my swap listen on /etc/fstab. Did that, swapon -a and all is well.
Finally had a glitch when suspending from X where it would enter a reboot but turns out it was the dreaded DRI radeon bug bitting me again. *sigh* Anyway, now it suspends just fine and I'm thrilled with it. It's really great to finally being able to suspend under Linux.