Links February 2012
Ron Barassi suggests that “Australia Day” be celebrated on the 27th of May to commemorate the day in 1967 when the Australian constitution was amended to not be racist . The current “Australia Day” is often referred to as “Invasion Day”. IMHO Ron deserves another “Best and Fairest” award.
Stefon Harris gave an entertaining TED talk about improv Jazz music titled “There Are No Mistakes on the Bandstand” . It seems that his concepts can apply to some extent to many collaborative projects.
John Robb wrote an interesting article about the future of drone (UAV) warfare . He suggests that having one person control each drone is a temporary thing and that the future is to have a cloud of cheap autonomous drones taking strategic control from one person. His comparison of Starcraft players to future drone fighters is interesting.
The OWS movement is branching out into other related areas, OccupyYourHomes.org is one of the latest ones . When banks try to forclose on homes without good cause the OWS people are protesting.
Matt Taibbi’s description of Goldman Sachs as “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money” will never die . It has spawned many other creative descriptions of the evil and greed of Goldman Sachs and even Lloyd Blankfein of Goldman Sachs describes his company as having “burned down the Reichstag, shot the Archduke Ferdinand and fired on Fort Sumter” – he was trying to use satire, but I don’t think that Goldman Sachs people would act differently to Fritz Thyssen.
Keith Packard wrote an interesting article about the Calypso CalDAV system which he uses with Android . He makes lots of good points about how to improve calendaring and contacts on Android, unfortunately I lack time to fiddle with such things at the moment so I’ll stick with Google in spite of the risks.
Asheesh Laroia wrote a great article about the problems with short (32bit) GPG keys . It seems that creating keys with matching ID numbers isn’t particularly difficult and that GPG doesn’t handle them as well as we would like giving the possibility of at best annoying DoS attacks and at worse security problems due to using the wrong key.
Sociological Images has an interesting article about when game show audiences are trustworthy . It seems that French people don’t want an undeserving person to win so they will intentionally advocate the wrong answer if the contestant should know it.
Paul Wayper gave a great lecture titled “SE Linux for Everyone” . He covers the basics of SE Linux in a user-friendly way and explains some simple solutions to common problems which don’t involve compromising system security.
Paul Tassi wrote an insightful article for Forbes about piracy . His conclusion is that the media companies should make it cheaper and easier to be a customer and not spend insane amounts of money on low quality products.
The Reid Report has an interesting article about Ron Paul’s racism . Ron Paul is generally well regarded outside the US because he wants the US government to stop meddling in the affairs of other countries, but while he’s less bad than other US politicians in terms of foreign policy that doesn’t make him a good person.
Anonymous hacked some mailboxes belonging to a neo-Nazi group and found links to Ron Paul . I’ve always been suspicious of the way Ron Paul wanted to avoid anti-racism legislation on supposed Libertarian principles.
-  http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2011/12/06/on-camping-and-the-framing-of-occupy-movement-strategies/
-  http://www.portlandoccupier.org/2011/12/15/occupy-portland-outsmarts-police-creating-blueprint-for-other-occupations/
-  http://tinyurl.com/6mr95hu
-  http://www.ted.com/talks/stefon_harris_there_are_no_mistakes_on_the_bandstand.html
-  http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/globalguerrillas/2011/12/drone-bonjwas.html
-  http://occupyourhomes.org/
-  http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/dec/12/pirates-of-youtube-cory-doctorow
-  http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/the-long-life-of-the-vampire-squid-metaphor/
-  http://keithp.com/blogs/calypso/
-  http://www.asheesh.org/note/debian/short-key-ids-are-bad-news.html
-  http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2011/12/26/are-game-show-audiences-trustworthy/
-  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZThVfm3JXdM
-  http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/02/03/you-will-never-kill-piracy-and-piracy-will-never-kill-you/
-  http://blog.reidreport.com/2011/12/the-real-bottom-line-on-the-paul-newsletters-race-baiting-for-power-and-profit/
-  http://www.care2.com/causes/anonymous-hacks-neo-nazis-finds-ron-paul.html
-  http://blog.reidreport.com/2011/12/should-glenn-greenwald-have-to-own-the-ron-paul-blue-plate-special/
- Links February 2011 Australia’s Department of Finance has mandated that the MS-Office document...
- Links January 2012 Cops in Tennessee routinely steal cash from citizens . They...
- Links February 2009 Michael Anissimov writes about the theft of computers from the...