After last month spectrum analyzer work, I also looked at the volume meters again. Handling the updates is a bit tricky as I need to sync them to the audio playback. Now I have optimizations in place to skip updates when the meter is zero or maxed and has not changed. This is actually quite often the case.
I also fixed a small UI glitch; song-io plugins did not tell so far whether they support saving and/or loading. Thus one could end up selecting a format and then getting an error. Now one will see only the formats that plugins can handle.
Finally I got around catching up on the docs too. Now all dialogs have some docs including screenshots.
One refactoring I was actually considering to push for after the next release was getting rid of the GtkListStores and use real GtkTreeModels instead. The disadvantage of a ListStore is that it is static, if the underlying object is dynamic one needs to manually synchronize it. This enlarges the code and also the duplicated data storage uses memory. Writing own models was in the end not so difficult, it is quite some boilerplate code though. The first one I wrote is a object-list-model. It allows to bind object-properties to model columns. If e.g. a field changes, the model notifies and the view updates. The whole thing could become more generic if we would have an iterator interfaces and the collection types (list, array, ..) would be gobjects implementing the iface. Well, I am not the first to notice that :). Next I made 2 specialized models and started to take them into use. As a bonus e.g. the machine model provides a nice logical sorting. One more model to implement and switch to.
72 files changed, 6268 insertions(+), 1250 deletions(-)
I have been refactoring GStreamer's spectrum analyzer. It is now working faster and also allows to get per-channel results. For testing I updated buzztard to check if one has the new version and if so show per channel graphs. While hacking on the analyzer graphs I have also refactored the code, so that now it is possible to probe the final output as well.
I spend the bigger part of the month on the tests again. I had an unref too much somewhere. Even after all the work in refdbg this is still difficult to track down. Eventually I found it and now all tests are green.
43 files changed, 796 insertions(+), 100 deletions(-)
New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.
Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.
If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!