As of today's second spin, I think everything needed for Fedora rawhide to be installable on PS3 is merged. So the instructions I posted before can be reduced somewhat...
- Referring to Sony's
instructions, install the bootloader from http://david.woodhou.se/otheros.bld.
(Hopefully we'll soon be able to spit this out as part of the normal distro build so you can just install it from the CD/DVD image, but for now it needs to use the old 2.6.16 kernel so it remains separate.)
- Boot into the installer. Either:
- Boot the rawhide boot.iso to start a network install
- If you already have Linux installed, copy the vmlinuz and ramdisk.image.gz from the ppc/ppc64 directory of the install tree and set up /etc/yaboot.conf to point at them. Then do a network install.
- Boot from a DVD such as the Fedora 7 test 4 PPC DVD when it comes out, or write the rawhide install tree to a DVD with growisofs and use that.
- Do the install as normal, still making sure you use proper partitions instead of the silly LVM default scheme.
- Once you've finished the install, you can add an argument to your kernel command line in /etc/yaboot.conf to set the video mode which the kernel comes up in -- for example "video=1080p". That won't make the petitboot boot loader come up in the mode you specify; just the distribution kernel. To fix the boot loader we need the stored preference as mentioned above.