8 Jul 2004 derupe   » (Journeyer)

So, Advogato is back up finally!!! I had nearly given up checking on it!

My last post was on May 27th and a lot has happened since then. I've talked about it in my blog on blogspot and the project blogs for kaprekar and matra. Also started a photo blog and a blog for my genealogy interests.

Well I got Gmail and am comfortably using it. Got a set of invites and distributed it too. Meanwhile my email accounts at yahoo and hotmail stand neglected (though they have increased the capacity). Gave a lot of feedback to Gmail - looks like they have been overwhelmed by the suggestions. :)


Added a lot of dtdtrees on the Matra site -

1. Bioinformatic Sequence Markup Language dtdtree.

2. WAP Wireless Markup Language dtdtree.

3. Speech Synthesis Markup Language dtdtree.

4. RSS 0.91 dtdtree

5. XHTML strict dtdtree.


7. GedML.


Two releases were made for the Kaprekar application -

Released version 2.0b. The main changes in this release includes addition of a Gui interface to the application and processing of hexadecimal numbers. Other changes include a few minor bug-fixes and changes to the algorithm.

Released Version 2.1b. The main changes include removing dependency on the Ganita package (Huge and Number classes). So now the Demonstrate process uses BigInteger - and consequently can handle numbers with any number of digits! Changed the algorithm a little bit to improve the performance while seaching for Kaprekar Series.

Lots of changes to the Kaprekar project web site. The site now uses valid XHTML and CSS. Added an introduction to the UML SVG documents.

Kaprekar Site: Making it XHTML Valid.

Here are my observations while making the site xhtml valid.

1. The biggest culprit was the <p> tag. Out of years of habit, I hadn't closed any of them. Removing this problem reduced the number of validation errors to the minimum.

2. Another one was the use of the < sign in the proofs without escaping it to <

3. XHTML does not have a "target" attribute. I have used the target attribute in the navbar - this invalidates all my pages. I could not find a non-javascript alrenative for this one, so just had to delete that attribute.

4. The second problem - only on one page (release: changes) - is the use of the font tag. This one was somehow missed when I changed my site to use css. This was an easy fix for me, but many sites who use font tags will have a tough time on this one.

5. The last problem was the missing alt attribute in the img tag - again only in one page (playing with numbers). The alt tag seems to be mandatory!

Other changes to the site

Made some changes across both the Kaprekar and Matra sites.

Changed the background color of the site to floral white to make it more pleasant to the eyes. And changed the links style so that they are underlined - so that its apparent that they are links.

Added Google search and ads on the site.

Added a separate CSS for the print media. Now the navbar and ads won't print - when you fire a printout - so only the content will be printed.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!