Older blog entries for derupe (starting at number 16)

Checked the Kaprekar site using W3C Link Checker. Found a couple of unnecessary redirects (it was pointing to the older cvs site) and found one 404! Will fix them soon ...

Done! I have finished all the site-redesign changes to the Kaprekar Series Generator project site!

Completed the menu changes yesterday - so now its got a dotted-box left navigation bar. The frames were removed a while back along with the use of CSS. The only thing pending is making it XHTML valid and, of course, adding more content.

Right now, you find a blurb on the Kaprekar Series - something I had written a few years back (plan to rewrite that). You'll find the Kaprekar Series numbers for 2-digit to 10-digit numbers; the patterns in the series for 2-digit to 51-digit numbers (I'll need to update this, since then I've reached upto 57-digit numbers). And the class diagrams (svg format) for the classes. And finally the whats new section and links to the various sourceforge links for the project.

Next, I'll put the release notes online, write a new introduction, update the series-patterns page ... and validate the html.

Gurney's finally sent my plants (oh! What a relief!). They had said that the plants will be sent by 13th and I had given them 1 week's leeway - promising to call them to remind about my plants on the 20th. And guess what! My plants arrived on 20th!

Now, will they survive in the 100+ degree (thats Farenhiet guys, not Centigrade) heat?

20 May 2004 (updated 20 May 2004 at 23:42 UTC) »

ok ... I've decided that I'll go for a modified dotted style for the Kaprekar Series Generator site - but will put the styles in a separate css file - this way I can change the menu style by relacing this css along (not affecting the rest of the site). This will be aligned to the way I have structured the css for the site - as descibed in the article retooling slashdot.

I have decided not to go along with the xml menu structure - if I go along with that I'll have to give up any hope for making my site truly xhtml valid - it would just close that option for me ... so now someday I'll have the site xhtml valid AND which hopefully will work cross browser ... now now thats a dreamer :)

19 May 2004 (updated 19 May 2004 at 01:20 UTC) »

I released a new version of Matra yesterday night and posted it to freshmeat today.

This is a minor bugfix release of Matra. A few bugs related to parsing within conditional sections have been dealt with. The DTDTree has been added/updated for the following DTDs: MARC, SVG, Reach, Gutenberg, and MathML.

The version is named Matra 0.8.2b. You can get more information on Matra from the Matra web site. Click on the download link on the left navigation bar to download Matra.

I created the MathML DTDTree yesterday and posted it on the Matra web site. Click on "Sample dtdtrees" on the left navbar and then on the MathML section in the content frame.

Still working my the Kaprekar Series Generator Site redesign.

The menu on the site still uses a html table. Plan to move that to a pure CSS solution. But currently stumped as to what approach to go for! The current menu which uses table tags is (hopefully!) cross-browser - it will look more-or-less the same across various browsers. Should I move away from that?

Ideally I would like to place the menu in a simple xml structure like -

<div id="Navbar">
      <a href="...">Introduction</a>
      <a href="...">Sample Output</a>
    add other menu titles/items here

And then use CSS to display the above XML (No, I don't want to go the xslt route ... my server side doesn't support it). Something similar to what Project Gutenberg uses for Three Men in a Boat (Excellent book, btw! A must read).

But I wonder if this will be the right approach. What will be the effect of this approach on search engines? Will it effect my (meagre) search rankings? (since the tags menutitle and menuitem will be non-standard).

Another approach will be to use lists (<ul>) tags as detailed in A List Apart. Or the dotted menu demonstrated at Blue Robot.

But I don't see menus as lists and so I'm still confused as to what approach should I go for!

Forgot to mention that among the changes to the Kaprekar Series Generator project site, I've used CSS ... I'm not sure if it would work on all browsers. I've tested it with Firefox and IE. Lemme know if it doesn't work on your browser.

11 May 2004 (updated 11 May 2004 at 05:21 UTC) »

I converted the Kaprekar Series Generator site from a frame based navigation to a php-based site (with the navigation included in the template). Check it out at http://kaprekar.sourceforge.net

I regenerated the dtdtrees for the updated MARC dtds using Matra and placed them in the project website (http://matra.sourceforge.net). These dtds now no longer have orphan elements.

7 older entries...

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!