Older blog entries for del (starting at number 1)

big night last night

i've substantially diddled the function handler/logic black box in the guts of HTDB.

all scripts *should* be 100% backwards compatible even though this was a pretty considerable movement of code. i moved quite a number of builtin functions into the core dso function file, so the static htdblib.a is somewhat smaller.

basically, we're handling builtin functions (such as encrypt(), getval()) now in the same manner as dso functions..

before, dso functions could only be *called*, they could not be used in conditionals. now, any function you make up can be used in conditional statements just like builtins.

all function lookups go against an internal hashtable now instead of the previous array walk, so it is minorly faster as well.

also getval()/getnum() are the same thing - the way the operator is used is dependent upon the perceived *type* of the data returned and used in the conditional.

currently looking into upgrading the HTDB parsing engine to use a bastardization of expat so as to make the parsed language XML-ish, as that's what everyone expects these days... (or should i use zend?)

(later that evening...)

huzzah! it isn't everyday that you find a 40% speed increase in your software, but tonight i did just that! i was able to increase the page delivery throughput by nearly 2x using a new implementation of the file parser. now this beast's really in a position to swap-out the language engine with something better...

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!