I got interviewed a couple of weeks ago. (If you're reading this on Planet Lisp, you probably already know this). I had a quick update to one of the points I made, but failed to write it down anywhere and have since forgotten. So, instead, a somewhat delayed and probably more dull update. (What, more dull than the delayed response of someone to their own interview? Well, be ready to be amazed. But I can't help but feel that the additional information was that I had forgotten some whole class of Lisp programming that I actually do, which is a bit embarrassing in an interview in a series titled "Lisp Hackers"...).
Maybe the first thing was to dip my toes back into SBCL maintenance: some nice if minor fixes from me this cycle: one was a simultaneous bug fix and optimization to modular arithmetic, motivated by pfdietz's resurfacing and running of his random form tester, which inevitably revealed that we have been slack in the last five years or so (where does the time go?); the other was a fix to the powerpc implementation of ldb, which broke the build after the previous fix. All sorted out now, phew. (And there's lots of other stuff that's gone in this month, unlike the previous "month" which sort of rolled on for the best part of three months, so it's probably worth testing).
But onward, to my desire to learn a bit more about Emacs Lisp. I've used emacs for many a year – indeed, the interview reminded me that I learnt Lisp by being given a difficult problem to work on, instructions on how to start XEmacs, and time to read USENET – but have never considered myself a real Emacs User; my ~/.emacs is so tiny, I daren't show it to the world for fear that I will lose all my remaining Lisp Hacker credibility. Acting with the view that the best way to learn is to do, shortly after starting to use EMMS as a media player, I've implemented support for DISCNUMBER metadata (this matters if, like me, you have a large number of multiple-disc sets). I've also revived (again) SWANKR, putting it up on github also, since I have started getting patches; I look forward to exploring this "social coding" idea. And I have also written a hacky but just-about-usable interface to the BBC iPlayer (using the excellent but fairly user-hostile get_iplayer utility) – particularly pleasing to my family now that digital switchover has reached London and I no longer possess equipment capable of receiving the UK television signal.
I now return to the Teclo vortex. But I am going to Zadar for the European Lisp Symposium; I hope to see some old and new faces there!