Older blog entries for const (starting at number 2)

It wanted to know how zlib compression is integrated into the TridiaVNC. I've got several files from their source via CVS and now I know. Exactly as expected: their implementation is not very efficient: the context (dictionary) is not being saved between screen updates. Due to this fact it would be easy to outperform their compression ratios.

http://www.hyperreal.org/raves/vrave/ -- I did not expect that people at hyperreal.org are still updating web pages related to vrave/telechat chat server software. I'd like to thank them one more time for the telechat-1.0 source which was the base for my current project. It's great that they had released that code under the BSD-like license.

And I'm glad that hyperreal.org knows about my project although I have not announced it too widely (it's because I plan to change user DB format in the nearest future, and after that it will be a better time to make announcements).

bzip2 is pathologically slow on data which consist mainly from small repeated patterns such as "ababababab..." or "ccccccccccc...". I know that it's a usual behaviour of block-sorting compression algorithms, but there are workarounds to prevent that... I'm finally tired to wait for a whole hour sitting in front of Pentium II to get a 216K archive...

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!