Older blog entries for cipher (starting at number 9)

Not much work done on Eucalyptus in the last couple days. Y2K looms ever closer, and I've been on the phone almost constantly with customers and Cisco getting things squared away and putting out fires.

On the home front, Michelle's ultrasound for Schifferer, v3.0 was today. The ultrastenographer (?) showed us undoubtedly that the baking bun is a boy. His name will be Theodore Alexander, partially after my father-in-law. Life is good. :)

Well, I'm staying home this morning because the snow is terrible (to me, I'm from California) and the wind just makes the driving conditions worse. I might go in to work later if it clears up. But, I digress....

A very nice person has taken it upon themselves to build RPMs of Eucalyptus 0.1.3. I guess I can put off further learning how to do that. ;)

Eucalyptus is coming along surprisingly well. The week-long rewrite of some of the parsing code took about 10-15 minutes (woohoo!), and now reply and forward work for the most part. Next, I think, will be folder creation/edit/deletion/etc. Very important. :)

I'm also considering taking copious notes of some of pine's feature-set.

Yikes! Haven't posted an entry in a while. Just woke up from a week-long turkey-induced nap. Or not.

I've been shifting back and forth from coding Eucalyptus to playing Baldur's Gate. Eucalyptus is coming along, but I'm running into some really annoy (g_)malloc quirks that are causing SEGVs just trying to allocate a small structure. In the process, I've ended up having to rework some of the header parsing code, and discovered that it really needs to be totally rewritten. Worked fine on the Amiga, but then this is no Amiga. Especially after writing that email library for AmigaOS3.5, I've learned some new ways to get things done, better, faster, yummier.

Checked out SourceForge today. Pretty slick. Got myself an account and got Eucalyptus approved as a project. Now I'll have to set up the web page for it, and commit the code to CVS.

I did some more work on Euc's POP code, and made some tweaks and such to other parts. I would like to be able to open the progress windows within the respective threads, but I don't know if that's possible with GTK/GDK currently. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know! :) As it stands, I'm resorting to mutexes and a simple message passing mechanism for visual updates while the threads are running.

I also need to get my sister-in-law's new Linux box up and running before we head down there for Thanksgiving.

Well, I started on the POP code. HP-UX upgrades are so tedious and drawn-out, so I had quite a bit of time to do some coding. It's a skeleton at the moment, but will be capable of checking multiple POP mailboxes simultanously (love them threads!), as well as supporting interactive downloading of mail. Pretty spiff, if I do say so myself. ;)

Cleaned up Euc's compose window a bit more. I'm really trying to simplify things like grabbing addresses from the address book, which was a bit complicated in the original Amiga version. Not to mention the fact that I was getting this bizarre occasional lock-up when adding addresses that I couldn't track down for the life of me. Solution: remove it. :)

I really really need to work on the POP code. At least that would rocket Eucalyptus into the semi-usable mailer category. Perhaps tomorrow during my HP upgrade I can hammer some of it out. We'll see.

Just did a new release of Eucalyptus -- 0.1.2.

Did a bit of work yesterday morning on Eucalyptus. Then went and bought a new (17GB) hard drive and popsicled the server at home. Whee! Everything is back to normal except Samba. Grrr. Oh well.

Must get back to Eucalyptus. Netscape mail is really annoying, and the wife is demanding a good mailer for Linux. :)

SMTP progress window (two types!) done, but not tested yet. Message replying completed. I'm going to try to concentrate on finishing the compose window and getting low-level POP stuff working.

Still working on Eucalyptus. Low-level SMTP is working. Just need to get the progress window working, and then POP and it might actually be a usable mailer. :)

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!