To follow up on what Marc said:
AbiWord already has some support for the OASIS OpenDoc standard, but the spec is just so daunting (~700 pages) that it would be really useful to have some nice test documents to work from and PDFs to show how they should look. A lot of people have requested it. If we want to avoid OASIS OpenDoc becoming the next "Esparanto" of file formats (i.e. great in theory, no one uses it in practice; and let's face it - DOC, RTF, and company have one heck of a head-start on OASIS OpenDoc), we need to get good support into all the major producing and consuming apps.
Ideally, we are looking for some OpenDoc test cases that are fairly comprehensive and self-contained. That is, we are looking for these kinds of documents:
- A test that shows everything you can do with fonts, and not much else.
- A test that shows everything you can do with paragraphs, and not much else.
- A test case that shows off tables. Nested tables. Table borders. Background colors and images. That sort of stuff.
- A test case for headers and footers.
- A test case for the types of fields you can insert.
- A test case containing some bitmap images. Try to throw in some text wrapping around images cases and maybe a doc or section with an image as its background.
- A test case showing off footnotes.
- A test case for endnotes.
- A list test case. Show off some different types of bullets, numbering, levels of nesting, etc.
- A test case for floating text/image frames.
- A multi-columned document.
- A document with some different kinds of "breaks" - page breaks, column breaks, forced line break, etc.
- A document with various metadata properties set.
This is a great way for a user/non-hacker to get involved with AbiWord, and we're be really appreciative of any help you'd provide. This is a highly voted on bug and oft-requested feature. Please follow up with Marc if you're interested. Thanks.