Older blog entries for caiqian (starting at number 0)

Get a Chinese PDF

Today I tried two way to generate a pdf file from a our project's chinese xml file.

First FOP way, it is very easy to add chinese fonts to fop to get it work, and generate a very good one from a simple xml file. But unfortunately its ability handling large document is quite bad. I got a fatal OutofMemory error and failed to generate one. Java always does not get along quite well with Debian. Sometimes I need to do some tweak to make JAI work. Maybe FOP is not mature enough to use in practice.

For Latex way, it really has a longer learning curves. After some unsuccessful attempts, I had gotten pdflatex working with sample GB and UTF-8 files. On the other hand, when xsltproc create a .tex file, its /usepackage and /begin fields are always useless for Chinese. All I have to do is to make sure they use {CJK} package and {UTF8} along with a right font. Although I see it finally works, I just wander if there is a brilliant stylesheet, with which can get a usable .tex file for Chinese. Then I can simply use pdflatex to get a pdf out of latex.

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!