24 Mar 2000 bobman   » (Observer)

Fun With MacOS X Server: Oh, boy, today was interesting. All the work that could have been done yesterday afternoon was all pent up inside me this morning as I got to school earlier than I was supposed to.

So, I'm thinking, "replicating the databases from the old server shouldn't be a problem." Big mistake. Seems that I forgot to check the version difference between MySQL on the current server and the MySQL I installed on the MacOS X Server yesterday. The mysql database table structure had changed a lot. New privilages for users and new tables I had never encountered. Well, I didn't check first and just dumped the old data on top of the database. Somehow, in all the dumping and "fixing," I changed the password of the MySQL root user. There went my work time...

Another bomb threat brought us all out of class, again to the elementary school, again without my laptop, again to ruin our day. This time, I brought some paper... and planned all the actions to take with the MacOS X Server (now called: MOSXS, for brevity) to bring it into the fold of working servers. It was an eleven item list when I had gotten done. Wheee!!! Then a group of friends and I played Uno, loudly enough to attract attention...

After two hours of sequesterment (is that a word), we were allowed back to school... And enjoyed Tuna Burgers (cause they couldn't cook the hamburg patties) and a nice round of Calculus.

Back to the terminal I fled after school, with the rooted one. We went over some vi basics, by fixing Apache, which was broken (i.e. not running) due to WebObjects being installed. There was a version conflict there, which should have tipped me off, if I wasn't so eager. After fixing Apache, we fixed MySQL... killall -9 mysqld, rm -r /usr/local/mysql/var/mysql/, /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_install_db... That all worked out, so we imported some databases from the old host.

Apache and PHP3, what a sad story. In short, after some fun compiling, moving of .so files, and mad editing of /Local/Library/WebServer/Configuration/apache.conf all was for naught. The WebObjects Developer CD which we had installed software from Monday had a really old version of the Apache header files (version 1.3.0) which caused the Apache (version 1.3.9) from the 1.2 MOSXS CD to not like the PHP3 module that I compiled, using the old header files. DAMN. So we have a couple options...
  • Download the new Apache distribution and compile.
  • Wait for a new Developer package on CD or net.
  • Beat our heads against a wall and download a precompiled PHP3 module.
I'm wanting the second option. It shouldn't be a problem for the school's Apple Rep. to put the MacOSXDeveloper.pkg (new) up on a FTP site for us.... That'd be nice and clean.

Little MOSXS Quibble: The NetworkManager application restricts usernames to a length that was not mentioned in the initial install. And one cannot edit a user whose username is too long. The rooted one had to change her username, as we couldn't put her in group wheel. Oh, that too, MOSXS doesn't seem to use /etc/password or /etc/groups... All information has been moved into the NetInfo database, which I still can't find a command line tool to edit. However, passwd seems to work with NetInfo...

Hopefully an e-mail back from the Apple Rep will make things better.

Oh, I forgot, I installed ssh when no one was looking. It works, client wise, and that makes me happy. I didn't get to set up sshd yet, however. I'll be much more comfortable when that happens.... And when most of the useless daemons are turned off.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!