- Installation : What a breeze! Boot up from the MacOS X Server CD, partition the hard drive, double click the Installer. It, I think, messes with the firmware/NVRAM and reboots into BSD/MacOS X Server. Couple more automatic reboots, waiting periods, and it then prompts for hostname, user accounts and other useful stuff. Very clean, MacHead friendly.
- Installed Stuff : The base system was pretty base. Apache, Apple File Sharing, vi, emacs, etc, all installed quietly and cleanly. All seemed to work well, lacking only a decent command line mail client and web browser.
Once we got into it, the "Workspace Manager" was friendly to our Mac side and the ability to use the Terminal was exceedingly enjoyed. The user management tool "NetworkManager" or "NetInfoManager" took some getting used to, in that the normal locations for user/group information and machine information has been moved to NetInfo, a database like system for system info. Sorta neat, but I haven't seen a command line utility for messing with NetInfo.
Monday night at home, I noticed that there were no development tools on the server. No gcc, no cc, no bison, etc, etc. A situation that had to be remidied if there was to be MySQL, lynx, mutt, ssh, PHP, or any other neat stuff on the box.
Tuesday the "administrator" -- not me, as I don't have root -- installed, with my assistance, the WebObjects Developer tools. Whee! It took about 40 minutes to get all the code and tools installed. Lots of source, for that of bash, tcp wrappers, and other various and sundry items, and all the development tools one could need.
From 3PM to 6PM I was stuck to the terminal, trying to compile my favorite tools... Namely ssh and lynx, as both were needed if I were to work from home on the box. Turns out lynx compiled out of the box with no tweaking. Excellent! ssh, however, needed a newer version of make, so compiled that and ssh compiled with little tweaking.
This morning the rooted one and I installed MySQL from precompiled binaries found at The MacOS Xclave. I had tried to compile MySQL on Tuesday, but it was being petulant and I gave up on it. The info accompanying the binaries was right on, the /etc/startup/ file worked, all was quite nice.
I was intending on compiling PHP3 today, but a bomb threat curtailed that activity. There is nothing better than spending 2 hours with 500 students in one gym at a neighboring school. The perp of the threat has been caught, thank goodness, and hopefully this won't happen again. I was wishing the entire time we were evacuated that I had brought my laptop with me... I could have hooked up to one of the ethernet jacks in the gym and used Napster to play tunes for the bored folks.. Or at least worked on the website.
Oh, well, I'm glad it's over and back to school tommorow.