Fun With MacOS X Server:
Oh, boy, today was
interesting. All the work that could have been done
yesterday afternoon was all pent up inside me this morning
as I got to school earlier than I was supposed to.
So, I'm thinking, "replicating the databases from the old
server shouldn't be a problem."
Big mistake. Seems
that I forgot to check the version difference between MySQL
on the current server
and the MySQL I installed on the MacOS X Server yesterday.
database table structure had changed a
lot. New privilages for users and new tables I had never
encountered. Well, I didn't check first and just dumped the
old data on top of the database. Somehow, in all the
dumping and "fixing," I changed the password of the MySQL
user. There went my work time... Another bomb threat
brought us all out of class,
again to the elementary school, again without my laptop,
again to ruin our day. This time, I brought some paper...
and planned all the actions to take with the MacOS X Server
(now called: MOSXS, for brevity) to bring it into the fold
of working servers. It was an eleven item list when I had
gotten done. Wheee!!! Then a group of friends and I played
Uno, loudly enough to attract attention... After two hours of sequesterment
(is that a word), we
were allowed back to school... And enjoyed Tuna Burgers
(cause they couldn't cook the hamburg patties) and a nice
round of Calculus.Back to the terminal
I fled after school, with the
rooted one. We went over some vi
basics, by fixing
Apache, which was broken (i.e. not running) due to
WebObjects being installed. There was a version conflict
there, which should have tipped me off, if I wasn't so
eager. After fixing Apache, we fixed MySQL... killall -9
, rm -r /usr/local/mysql/var/mysql/
... That all
worked out, so we imported some databases from the old
host.Apache and PHP3
, what a sad story. In short, after
some fun compiling, moving of .so
files, and mad
all was for naught. The WebObjects Developer CD which we
had installed software from Monday had a really old version
of the Apache header files (version 1.3.0) which caused the
Apache (version 1.3.9) from the 1.2 MOSXS CD to not like the
PHP3 module that I compiled, using the old header files.
DAMN. So we have a couple options...
- Download the new Apache distribution and compile.
- Wait for a new Developer package on CD or net.
- Beat our heads against a wall and download a precompiled
I'm wanting the second option. It shouldn't be a problem
for the school's Apple Rep. to put the MacOSXDeveloper.pkg
(new) up on a FTP site for us.... That'd be nice and
clean.Little MOSXS Quibble
: The NetworkManager
application restricts usernames to a length that was not
mentioned in the initial install. And one cannot edit a
user whose username is too long. The rooted one had to
change her username, as we couldn't put her in group
. Oh, that too, MOSXS doesn't seem to use
information has been moved into the NetInfo database, which
I still can't find a command line tool to edit. However,
seems to work with NetInfo...Hopefully an e-mail back from the Apple Rep will make
Oh, I forgot, I installed ssh
when no one was
looking. It works, client wise, and that makes me happy. I
didn't get to set up sshd
yet, however. I'll be much
more comfortable when that happens.... And when most of the
useless daemons are turned off.