So I wasn't quick enough to reply for the room to rent in the Barri Gottic :( But I went to see the other place which is a little bit further (a good 20 minutes by foot from work, but which will be good for the exercise and the tan). This time I accepted the place way quicker :)
It's really great, I'm sharing it with Cristina - the catalan girl who owns the place - and Rachid, a french guy who works at Hewlett-Packard in the suburbs... and Kika a lovely little cat :) Well furnished, big bathroom (most important!), nice living-room, and all-in-all a very friendly 'ambiance'. And yes, I am forcing myself to speak spanish with Cristina (who also speaks english and french), and I'm starting to feel the results.
As you might have noticed, or not, I didn't release the next version of PiTiVi. Why, you might ask ? :) Well as I said before, I wanted to clean it up thoroughly so to make it easier to add new features, get rid of bugs, etc ... But I've been spending all of this past week finding out how much of the codebase was.. well... totally and completely un-evolve-able !!! The reason for that is in fact quite simple : the rest of the team was only interested in getting something nice for the final presentation (which we mostly managed to do), and it seems I was the only one wanting to make pitivi a true application (usable by everyone, and especially that carries on living after the end of studies).
SO... since I would have to rewrite almost everything (GUI-wise) from scratch, I am going to.. in python :) I've been wanting to do so from the start of the project, but for some reasons I won't evoke here, we decided to do it in C/GObject. Doing it in python is going to allow faster development, ease the addition of new features, and concentrate on the ergonomy and added value of a non-linear editor (instead of banging my head on stupid C related problems). And it's also time gnonlin goes back to it's separate repository and it's gst-plugin'able (which will definitely happen shortly). So for those not getting the message : the cpu-intensive parts of pitivi (GStreamer and gnonlin) are staying in C !
I'll be reviewing all of those ideas (and all the feedback I got on pitivi) at the beginning of this week with the rest of the fluendo team... stay tuned !