Spent an entire day trying to get traffic shaping working with FreeBSD. Had to recompile kernel to allow traffic shaping. Next good experiments in actually limiting rates.
But hit a road block to see how I could limit only outgoing packets. Started to play with my firewall settings and got nowhere. In the end I decided to start afresh with the one from the FreeBSD manual as I understood I might have issues between the dynamic rules and nat. Anyway, now back to exactly where I was (I hope I didn't break anything), and my firewall script has become a bit leaner, and a bit clearer.
Installed the 2talk voip client on Windows, which worked out of the box. On Ubuntu Empathy and Ekiga got me nowhere. Installed a STUN daemon, but that didn't help.
Installed twinkle and that worked out of the box.
Basically a day where I only learned what doesn't work.