I finally switched back to mutt. Mail.app is nice but its shortcomings became more and more irritating. I missed:
- save hooks
- proper polling of mailboxes other than the Inbox over IMAP
- being able to choose my From: address at all, and especially having it chosen automatically based on the To: of the message I was replying to
- speed. The text interface is just a million times faster, even though Mail.app has an IMAP mailbox cache. Go figure.
Things that I'll miss from mail.app:
- Inline image/HTML viewing
- Integration with AddressBook.app, where I keep all my contacts
Well, 1. isn't that big a deal. Mailcap can spawn Navigator so it's really only an additional keystroke and a very small delay.
2 drove me nuts, so I wrote a little AddressBook plugin for lbdb last night. It was surpisingly straightforward, considering I've never done Objective C (let alone Cocoa) before. I'd be a little embarrassed if anyone saw the code, but it works, and that makes me happy. I've missed you, mutt!