Well, back from the holidays at my parents'. Fortunately, I had my iPAQ to do some Linux hacking :-) (I only used the Win98 box to run the VNCViewer on it).
I did what I planned to do for a long time : rewrite my Book database from C to Python. You can find the results here. The database is still a bit slow as the Python script is stand-alone (ie not using any mod_python) and is not pre-compiled (I execute directly the .py, not a small .py that would import the big .pyc files).
BTW, I am using Mozilla 0.6 for two weeks now, and it crashed less often than Netscape 4.x (but well, the UI is still slow).
And, of course, Merry Christmas to everybody :-)