It feels... good!
It feels... good!
I suspect that one of the most frequent GPL license violations "out there" is made by all the applications that are GPL licensed and use OpenSSL. Such binaries are violating the GPL license when distributed unless the author has added an exception clause to the GPL.
So I finally installed Debian.
I got myself a new and shiny box and I installed Debian. I had my old box with the 802.11g-card serving as a proxy and used my old 3com card in the new box for the install procedure.
Everything went fine. I got debian unstable on the 2.6.5 kernel up fine. X on my matrox G400 works nicely and Gnome2 looks neat.
Now over to what is not so good: the Gnome guys apparantly have a default font/encoding somewhere, that I don't know about. I just can't get my swedish 8bit letters (åäö) to work (when I use a gnome-terminal and ssh to a machine that displays them on the screen), which I believe is because I get a font that isn't ISO8859-1. In the past I could pop up the font selector and select a ISO8859-1 font. Now, I can't (the font selector doesn't include that anymore)
I had to fire up 'xterm' instead of 'gnome-terminal' to get to see those letters. I've tried to look for a global setting somewhere where I can say "I want ISO8859-1 fonts please" but so far I've failed.
I've still not gotten the motherboard sound of my A7V8X to work, but I haven't yet tried every variation I can think of. ALSA and the sounds docs in kernel/Documentation will be my guides. The boot messages indicate proper detection of my hardware and alsaconf makes the proper modules load.
Good stuff includes the wireless 'madwifi'-drivers that worked smooooothly when I moved the wifi-card from my old box to my new and had it up and working instantly. I also have the motherboard-based Via Rhine ethernet 100mbit working.
Occational days I get more than 4000 virus emails denied by my server (that equals nearly 3 virus emails each minute). Why oh why am I the target of these insane amounts of viruses? We are ~65 employees at my company. I alone get a bit over 95% of all virus emails!
The 79th public release of cURL (dubbed 7.11.1) is now out the door and it feels good.
If you feel like helping us improve curl, we would like to get in touch with people who can run automated daily tests on a few platforms we currently don't have covered. Such as OpenBSD, Mac OS X and HP-UX. Running these tests should only be a matter of some initial setting-up work and then basicly nothing, only mailing in the logs to the automated receiver-address. See http://curl.haxx.se/auto/.
Roughly 2000 virus emails hammer me every day: clamav keeps me happy. Roughly 200 spams arrive per day: SpamAssassin keeps me happy. 82% of all the email I get is unwanted. That is more than 11000 emails per week I'd rather not get. Only a very minor fraction of those mails actually end up in a mailbox I read.
It turned out that only doing Bayesian filtering to catch spam, such as Bogofilter, is not good enough for me.
There should be a time stamp available for the certifications. Then we could see how much less people are getting certified now, compared to a few years ago. If people in general here are only a little similar to me, the certificate frequency is a lot lower these days.
And the crappiness of sourceforge mail servers lately have finally pushed me into a corner and I am now working on moving the main curl mailing lists off sourceforge to a server that can handle mails more swiftly. Stay tuned for info on that. Waiting several days for each mail to show up on a list is not really helping discussions...
Sourceforge, where art thou? Services are really degrading these days.
Mydoom stats: ~600 mails received when I got to work this morning.
My daughter Agnes reading Linux Journal, 3.5 months old. :-)
Project Denise is pretty much dead, and we instead adapted ares in libcurl for asynch name resolves. We have however collected a good bunch of patches for it that the maintainer doesn't want, so we're slowly forking away out on our new c-ares branch...
I'm working (albeit slowly) to get my FSF assignment paper fixed so that my upcoming code donations to wget will end up somewhere.
In cURL I'm trying to get things fixed for the upcoming 7.11 release. There's a dozen or so outstanding issues left to be done... The previously announced curl programming competition got nowhere as only 4 persons brought contributions for it! ;-(
RockBox was again featured on slashdot. It has been some heat on the mailing list since Open Neo forked Rockbox for the Neo series of mp3 players, claiming they made it and with all credits and copyright texts removed... The issue has since been sorted, and we're all thrilled to see Rockbox moving over to work on mp3 players produced by other companies than just Archos.
And to comment the recent entries on Advogato: I always prefer using 'man [command]' to fiddling around in an annoying info browser...
In spite of the low-profile announcement and hardly any talk about it, suddenly roffit is finding its way out and gets used "out there". It seems more people than me are fed up with crappy-looking man page to HTML converters.
I am interested in improving this utility, as currently it is pretty naive about the input format and my nroff knowledge level is next to zero.
If you try it out and find problems, please bear with me.
New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.
Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.
If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!