23 Sep 2009 badger   » (Journeyer)

So thanks to cdfrey, I'm a little closer on two fronts.

First, the problem as given has a solution for hack #2 but apparently not hack #1. Here's the new sequence of commands:


git checkout base_url
git log
# Manually find the last commit in staging before I branched
git rebase --onto master [COMMIT ID FROM ABOVE]
git checkout master
git merge base_url

So no more patches, yay! However, you probably notice that we still have to use git log to find the branchpoint. After some discussion of this, it seems that if we have merged from the feature branch back to the branch it came from, there's no way around this. git does not maintain the history of where something came from and where it goes back to, it holds onto the heads and then follows the chain of commits back. So once we're merged, there's no branch point anymore... the trees are the same.

However, we did figure out a potential way to implement our workflow in the future. Instead of branching from staging, the feature branch should start off branching from master. After it's been worked on, it gets merged to staging. But since it started off from master, that should still leave the feature branch with a clear path of changes to apply to master. Once the changes have been tested in staging, we can merge the feature branch into master and it's then "okay" for the branchpoint to disappear since the work is completed.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!