Recent blog entries for aristeu

gotta love those days you stop and finally learn how to fix
properly small annoyances that have bugged you for years.
today was how to add new lines in regular expressions in vim.
one would think \n is the answer, but it's \r.

x200 looking like new after a 512G SSD and 8GB of RAM

decided to give github a try today. awesome service so far.

if you got a Nyko blu-wave and want to use it with Elisa:

svn co https://jake.ruivo.org/uinputd/trunk/jsremote

and follow the README file :)

after spending some time trying to get into advanced mode on my second iogear KVM, I finally figured out what's wrong. on the user manual it says:

1. press and hold clear key for two seconds.

2. press and hold minus key [-] key for one second.

3. release minus key [-] and within one second also release clear key

when, in reality it should be:

1. press and hold clear key for two seconds.

2. tap on the minus key.

3. release clear key shortly after.

I'm sick and tired of fixing cosmetic issues trying to add support to PS3 bluetooth remote to linux (three months redoing patches). I'll just leave the latest version of the required patches here. good luck trying to get past the fashion police.

http://ruivo.org/~aris/ps3_remote/

Yes, the patches do work. If you have problems _using_ the patches, feel free to contact me.

So, the problem is solved. First off, its SUBSYSTEM is input not usb. We're handling a evdev device creation, don't forget. The final version:

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="input", KERNEL=="event*", GOTO="wacom_rules"
GOTO="wacom_rules_end"
LABEL="wacom_rules"

ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", SYMLINK+="input/wacom"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0000", SYMLINK+="input/wacom-tablets/penpartner input/wacom-tablets/penpartner-%b"
ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0010", SYMLINK+="input/wacom-tablets/graphire input/wacom-tablets/graphire-%b"
(...)
ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0047", SYMLINK+="input/wacom-tablets/intuos2-6x8a input/wacom-tablets/intuos2-6x8a-%b"

LABEL="wacom_rules_end"

ATTRS looks for the file on the parent directories as well, solving the problem here.
One note is that if you try to get ATTRS{idVendor}=="056a" on the first rule to avoid repeating on all rules, it won't work, no idea why udev behaves this way.

It's easy to get upset with udev. On rawhide, the wacom rules simply don't work. The problem is that now there's no decent way to get Vendor/Product ids when you receive an eventX creation event. This is needed so the wacom rules can create /dev/input/wacom-tablets/<model> link. The current ugly way to fix it is to use ATTR{../id/vendor}. There must be a better solution. Yes, the rule worked for some time (BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="event*", SYSFS{idVendor}==...)

Spent my last days feeling like crap. Between fury explosions passing by depression and moments of extreme tension. The feeling that everything was falling apart. Something was terribly wrong. First suspect was the fact I don't go to climbing gym for a week, wrist injury. The lack of exercise can make me more nervous, but this is not the case: going to the gym everyday spend some time on treadmill. Coffee. In larger quantities or a stronger one can lead me to this behavior. Not the case also, I haven't been drinking more than the usual nor trying new brands. It could be lack of sleep. Hm, don't think so. I've been sleeping more than the usual since this weekend. Imagine trying to debug your brain while wanting to smash everything around. Not fun.

So, the answer came yesterday at night. I decided last friday that I wasn't having enough sugar. I'm a kind of person who prefers anything with salt than a chocolate or candy. Anyway, while reviewing what I usually eat everyday, I decided that would be healthy to have some chocolate everyday, some pieces. But what caffeine does is simply accelerate the sugar burn and having more than the usual on my veins made the amount of coffee I usually drink everyday more effective. This added to some problems I had last days resulted in a damn hard week.

No more coffee.

for you.

.

.

.

hm, what about dropping the chocolate instead?

hehe

after some time, I finally decided to do something about energy saving. I bought one of these to keep my home server running on constant power outages we got here. I installed apcupsd daemon and the CGI to provide informations about the state of battery, etc. I noticed that my home server - amd64 dual core 3800+, 3 SATA disks -, with a 19'' TFT monitor, DSL modem and a WRT54GS use 15% of APC capacity when idle and when I was compressing a big file with bzip2 (thus using one core, plus two disks (RAID1)) the usage jumped to 20%! It's 60VA more. Amazing.

66 older entries...

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!