Do not use host spam blocking lists
Have you ever felt that you may be loosing incoming email? It is a bad feeling. Furthermore, if you think the nasty you may be, not answering those emails you never received, but they think you did.
Please, please, please, if you are a sys admin, please, do NOT use host blocking list. While their intention is good, their results may be awful.
There are much better ways to fight spam:
- Do not publish your email address in a web page. (Use the "user at provider.com" form)
- If you have a domain name, use something like spam shield, to avoid them taking your email from the registers.
- Mask email addresses in mailing list archives, if you are the admin. If you are not, avoid writing to a list which does not mask email addresses.
- If you are a web admin and email addresses should appear in a web page use SugarPlum
- Use safe operating systems like GNU/Linux, as in other unsafe systems there are virus collecting email addresses to spam.