18 Nov 2003
(updated 18 Nov 2003 at 08:23 UTC) »
Got my DRM-using Rage 128 driver to the point of compiling, at long last. Most of the changes have been tons of tedious mechanical changes and grabbing bits from XFree86. In the process I've noticed a good bit of code that I expect to send to the chopping block (since I don't intend us to ever support the gamma DRM in its current incarnation). And maybe a bug, which would be a bug I've experienced before, but I haven't verified (lack of DRIMoveBuffers for r128). At this point it initializes the DRM, but there's some failure in int10. Note that not understanding int10 is the reason I don't have xserver on FreeBSD yet.
This means that I've got libdri (minus its glx bits which are ifdeffed out until we get glx) compiling along with libdrm.
The next major step is GLX (well, after getting this driver to actually run :-). I'm really torn about how to go about this. The easiest and most immediate way will be to bring in Mesa and do it just like XFree86 does but without the loadable GLcore. Better would be for GLcore to be buildable outside of the xserver tree and dlopenable. Best would be to either have the server dlopen a DRI driver (perhaps the fb driver) and use that for GLX rendering, or to have the server fork a program that handles GLX that the server hands off to it which then renders using a dri driver. I can see the merits of both of the last two. But I think I'll end up doing the first one first.
Continued work on xlibs ports. All but 3 (Xi, Xcursor, another I don't recall ATM) have been ported and I'm using them on my desktop. Forwarded the ports to the new x11@FreeBSD.org mailinglist which I got created to hopefully bring other people into X11 maintaining on FreeBSD so I can spend less time being frustrated with XFree86. One of our major ports PR busters has been talking about working on a kdrive port to FreeBSD.