Another year has come and gone. What transpired within this pretty much arbitrarily delimited period of time that matters to me? In no particular order:
- Monte and I released Smarty template engine.
- September 11 and subsequent events made me feel that living in this country is less secure that I previously thought.
- I turned 25 and started feeling my priorities and outlook on life change. So many things that used to seem important now appear trivial and vice versa.
- PHP-GTK was released.
- Uzbekistan is suddenly USA's best friend and I don't have to explain where it's located
- I made new friends (mostly local Russian students) and kept almost all the old ones.
- Having lived in the same place for 9 years and worked in the same company (that I keep growing disillusioned with) for almost 6 years, it is only natural that I have been entertaining thoughts about making a change.
- I still haven't met the one.
I am finishing the year unsubscribed from all the PHP mailing lists and keeping my distance from it and the related projects for a while because I am feeling somewhat tired and burned out, and all the bulls**t going on in the community doesn't help. I hope to return to it after some time off.
I hope.. no, I know the New Year will bring all of us something wonderful, something that makes your soul tingle just thinking about it. May all your dreams come true. All I wish for is peace, love, and understanding. The rest will naturally flow out of this foundation. Happy New Year!