29 Mar 2005 alvherre   » (Master)

posted the patch

Yeah, apparently what I had first thought was in fact the right idea. I'm talking about my shared-row-locks project. Due to some misunderstanding on my part, I figured that the simpler idea was wrong; so I tried a lot of other things, and of course, they were also wrong. So eventually I came back and tried the first thing again, and discovered that it works as expected (by me at least). So I posted the patch, and promptly received a comment from Tom which made me notice a gross mistake. Easily solved, but gross anyway ;-)

performance measure stupidity

I ran some performance testing to verify that my patch won't make people too angry at me. I was terrified to discover that it had dropped by 25% or so in pgbench. I spent an hour and a half looking at the patch searching for the culprit (I didn't want to compile with profiling enabled because my machine is somewhat slow) ... And then I realized that I had compiled the whole backend/access/heap directory with -O0. Recompiled, reran pgbench and now I see no measurable difference between pristine sources and my tree. That's fortunate at least. I still have to see how will the lock-spilling code perform.

Latest blog entries     Older blog entries

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!