And then I prepared to install a Python/MySQL interface. And it didn't work. And I tried and tried to get it to work and the damn thing just wouldn't work. Something funny going on with the character sets.
Work continues at the GSC. I can't say enough good things about it. It's good work, honest work, hard work. Enjoyable and challenging. I have finished my first project. A web summary of recent "runs" done by the seven sequencing machines in the lab. It's all very similar technology to what I'm used to, but everything is different too: perl instead of python, mysql instead of postgres, red hat instead of debian.
The atmosphere is co-operative. There are few hard deadlines, yet we all work very hard to accompish as much as quality work as quickly as possible. They could bring in CEO's of software companies and charge them $4,000 a day. Teach them how to run their development teams more efficiently.
So the launch party didn't go so well. But Lindsay and Jay have launched, and visitors are starting to come in. Slowly, as word of mouth builds at first, hopefullly in greater number as the site gains momentum. Good luck guys!