I figure this would be a good place to throw out my random ideas of things I want to hack on, things to figure out. Feel free to tell me my ideas are dumb. Feel even freer to tell me that they've already been implemented or that you want to write them. :)
In reference to my prior entry regarding my IRC and IM setup, here are some things I've been thinking about:
- I want to write a programmable chat notifier, so I don't have to be constantly logged onto my session locally. I want an application that will connect to my proxy for me and, when certain conditions (regular expressions or something) are met, notifiy me via libnotify and the notification area of my Gnome panel. That way I can't let IM/IRC distract me.
- Write a wrapper around XChat-Gnome to handle my setup more cleanly:
- If my ssh tunnel is not started, start it, prompting me for the password
- Turn off the notification plug-ins (sound, notification, and on screen display) to start. As bip is playing back my log to the session, I don't want to be notified.
- Find out, via d-bus or a python plug-in or something, that the playback is done and then enable those plug-ins
- If appropriate, on exit, kill the tunnel
I've started using Evolution as my primary mail client, so I have a few things I want to do with it:
Update my (not-yet-released) new mail notifier:
- Make it more robust and clean code-wise.
- Give more information, if possible. (Number of new messages, perhaps message information)
- Leave an icon in the notification area until I click the pop-up notification or the system tray icon.
- When clicking either, go to the new messages in Evolution
I get a lot of spam -- probably 1250 or so in the last week. I need to curb that.
- We use spam bayes on my mail server. I need some way to retrain it, when it misses or mis-classifies something.
- I also use spamassassin locally, which works for most of what I have.
- First filter on spam bayes, and then spam assassin classifications.
- I want to be able to set up something -- like search folders -- that will capture messages that are in the junk folder, but missed by one or the other.
- I want to be able to automatically re-train spambayes and spamassassin appropriately on these.
So, for Evolution, I need to figure out the following:
- In what order are the filters applied? Junk filters and then user-defined filters? Can I specfy the order of this? Can I specify the order of my user-defined filters?
- Can I set up a filter that is only applied when I select it? For example, I need to write some shell scripts to handle re-training Spambayes on my remote server. I would like to be able to click on a message and then tell Evolution to pipe that message to a given program. Can I do this?
I think that's all of my random ideas for now. I probably won't get to any of this until after the wedding. Of well, priorities, you know.