My 1 month old VIA EPIA M has died on me :-( When I press the power button, the CPU fan starts very briefly and then stops again. No beeps, nothing else. The power supply fan has the same behaviour. Too bad.
Anyway, c't had an article about EPIA M and they said theirs had a VIA Nehemiah instead of the Ezra that mine had. The difference is that Nehemiah has SSE and no 3dnow. So I hope that I will get a replacement EPIA board with Nehemiah, it is slightly faster.
I took the opportunity to port my libvorbis 3dnow patch to SSE, but boy was I mistaken about the work that would entail! I thought I'd just do it on the train using the new builtins the Intel C compiler defines and gcc also supports. It turns out that my gcc version (3.1.1) creates bad code for some of them, and it generates bad code for all of them unless you turn the optimizer on. gcc wants to save the xmm registers to the stack otherwise, and forgets to align the stack storage to 16 bytes, which is a requirement for SSE. The result is a seg fault in innocuous looking code.
The Intel documentation really sucks. They find it completely unnecessary to document their SSE stuff, you only get documentation about SSE+SSE2. So in the middle of your hacking you find that the instruction you used does not exist in SSE. Duh. Unfortunately, I haven't found any AMD documentation about SSE; their CPU documentation is excellent, especially in comparison to Intel's crap.
Well, back to my vorbis hacking. The patch only speeds up decoding, and it does 1/4 to 1/3 speedup on my Athlon, although I had to work around unaligned data and data layout that is not so vector friendly (one array per channel, so you have to interleave the data manually for the sound card). I put it on my home page, let's see how many people will find it useful. If you download it, please send me an email and tell me! I want to know! ;)