Firestarter now called Erudite and version 1.2 released
Erudite makes it possible to use Amazon’s Cloud Reader service under MeeGo. You can either read books online, or download them for reading offline. Your progress in a book is kept synchronised between your N9 and other Kindle devices.
Unfortunately since Amazon own a wide range of “Fire” themed trademarks, and the application’s operation is heavily related to the same areas that these trademarks are used in, Amazon couldn’t really let me carry on using the name “Firestarter”. It was entirely my own foolishness that caused this hassle by going for a “clever” name without even considering the potential trademark implications, thankfully the lawyer who got in touch with me was very understanding and patiently helped me worked through the various issues. I’m just glad that Amazon handled everything so amicably, rather than wading in with heavy-handed legal threats as some companies might.
So from now on the application is called “Erudite”, a name that’s clever in a different way.
Added in 1.2:
- The application name has now changed to Erudite.
- A number of buttons and menu entries have been made larger and easier to press.
- You can now switch in to and out of fullscreen mode by pressing a toggle button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
Added in 1.1:
- The application can now start up completely offline. You still need to be online for the very first usage and to download books, but once you’ve downloaded some books you can now always access them offline.
- A progress indicator shows when the application is loading.
- Keyboard bug is fixed. Previously you needed to tap on text fields twice to bring up the virtual keyboard, now it pops up on the first tap.
Available for the Nokia N9 and N950 in the Ovi Store: http://store.ovi.com/content/307241