Free (as in GPL2) translation dictionaries for the Kindle
I’ve had a Kindle for a little while and really like it, but one of the areas it seems to be somewhat lacking in is the availability of translation dictionaries, as such I knocked up a quick script to convert TinyLex dictionaries from the Apertium project into indexed Kindle dictionaries. The most useful of these is probably the German – English dictionaries as these are very complete (over 160,000 entries).
One thing that I find quite useful is setting the German -> English dictionary as my primary dictionary (instructions below) then opening the English -> German dictionary and searching for words (or vice versa), this way you can get an instant re-translation of any words suggested to you.
- Download whichever dictionary you’re interested in from the list below.
- Transfer the file across to your Kindle as normal.
- Press the menu key on your Kindle.
- Select Settings.
- Press the menu key again.
- Select Change Primary Dictionary.
- Select your new dictionary from the list.