Getting that release out had been harder than usual, but this is normal considering:
- That the last release was beginning of April though I usually release every months
- The large amount of changes and testing which afected packaging
Technically the big progresses are on the XSD Schemas support (streaming and big improvements in the conformance), there is also revamped testing tools purely based on C to be able to test fully on Windows, valgrind or embedded systems, and some DOM "import" like functions for the tree APIs.
Fun with rpmfind.net
The machine had been super stable since I upgraded it last summer, uptime around 200 days when one of the drives died, the system survived but I had to reboot still and needed to increase drive space, expecially Fedora and Red Hat mirrors were starting to outgrow the largest 120GB drives I could plug on the venerable 3ware card, so clearly it was time to start adding SATA especially since 200MB drives are now the cheapest per capacity I bought a couple. That's where things started to be nasty: the Promise TX4200 wasn't supported by RHEL3 or 4, I didn't trust the drivers coming from the vendor either, so I bought a cheapo SIL based SATA card, which worked to some extend on RHEL3 but depending on the kernel version I got either crashes or non-dma transfers and kernel errrors. It was clearly time for a software ugrade too, and since the box don't have a CD drive (it's all disks, 11 drives in that box), the upgrade was a little funky (rsync to a new drive at home, local upgrade to RHEL 4, and then swapping the new root drive later on-site). Anyway it works very well now, no partition is full anymore, there is now more than a terabyte of storage, twice more RAM, and I hope I will get to a 200 days+ uptime again ! Knocking on wood !