Older blog entries for Archit (starting at number 111)

ORE v0.1 codename "Man titties" released!

The first version of ORE, my Ruby Editor for Gnome has been released. Catch the release at ORE Homepage

the time has come to take courage, to take a stand, to fight for what we believe in. the time to speak and preach has passed, this is now the time to act, not to procrastinate.

this is when we fight for the sake of our children, the time to sacrifice ourselves for the better good

it is now, the time is apon us

its the time to disco

Finally setup a bare-bones website for ORE. Check it out at ore.rubyforge.org. I think I'm finally beginning to understand the XHTML way.

On the Ruby/GtkSourceview front, it seems that lrz might be taking over maintainership (but its still in the discussion room). Whatever the outcome, I should expect a release of Ruby/GtkSourceview with my patch, so I can release ORE v0.1 =D. Till then I guess I'll bug-test ORE and put in some other useless features.

red renamed to ORE

So I was finishing up final fixes and setup of the build environment for red (configure.rb and installfiles.rb+InstallFiles, so much fun writing those) and I found out that 'red' is already a utility on linux/unix systems (readonly ed, the line-based editor). After much astonishment and lamentation :-( I talked around on #ruby-lang and #ruby-gnome2 and decided on another name, ORE.

ORE can stand for many things including

Obviously a Ruby Editor

Oh no! a Ruby Ruby Editor

OMG! a Ruby Editor

Ofcourse! a Ruby Editor

and the list goes on...

So anyway, tom (rubyforge maintainer, tom on #ruby-lang) was kind (and suprisingly quick) enough to do a project export from red to ore on rubyforge for me! Thanks man! I admin-ed the Tracker database (as unfortunately that cannot be exported) and will manually transfer/export the Feature Requests from red's to ORE's

Then I undertook the arduous task of renaming all the files, classes etc (But for that I made a sed-like ruby script and wala! :D). And a few more bug fixes, mainly build related and ORE is ready for a v0.1 release :D. Wait for announcement (later today or tommorrow)

P.S. Have to setup a webpage.

Fixed Find/Replace code in red. Problem was I was connecting callbacks to the Find, Replace, Replace All buttons repeatedly. So the callback was being called n+1 times each time I closed the dialog and brought it up again. That was the main blocker left.

However the problem of the build setup still remains. I have 3 options

1 => Makefile's - tried, trusted and established. But I'll have to propely learn Makefile's syntax. Which is good and bad. But I'm leaning towards this the most.

2 => Rakefile's - new kid on the block. Problems, adds extra dependency. But then I'm ok with doing some more ruby code than makefile syntax.

3 => setup.rb - Useful program. Will have to learn some details again. However it dictates the structure/organisation of code files, which are already fixed in CVS. So highly unlikely I'll use this.

4 => Custom install.rb - Again I'm leaning towards this too. Since I already have a custom configure.rb coded (and might I say I had good fun writing that, much more than red itself sometimes!), coding a simplified version of setup.rb just for red would be fun. Save's me the trouble of learning Makefile syntax.

So out of the 4 options, 2&3 are definitely out. 1 and 4 are the most likely and out of those I'm leaning more towards option 4 the most. Lets see. I'll wait around waiting to learn something more about the other options before I start of, in fear of making a hasty decision.

red - Ruby Editor

Been a while since I worked on red (almost 6 days as the ChangeLog reveals). Little bugs remain (still) here and there before a 0.1 release. I'll try and fix some today. I also keep getting these ideas for plugins that I want to put in before 0.1, but I think I'll hold them so I can do a quick 0.2 release with just extra plugins ;-)

Hey so Subversion 1.0 was released somtime over the weekend (or this Monday). Have to check it out some time. I especially like the renaming and directory deleting "fixes" from CVS. If its backward compatible with CVS, it would be nice.

102 older entries...

New Advogato Features

New HTML Parser: The long-awaited libxml2 based HTML parser code is live. It needs further work but already handles most markup better than the original parser.

Keep up with the latest Advogato features by reading the Advogato status blog.

If you're a C programmer with some spare time, take a look at the mod_virgule project page and help us with one of the tasks on the ToDo list!