answered in his blog
1. He who does wins, so don't let the bastards grind you down.
2. Imagine every bug you found could be fixed by you if you want, or a
friend, or an enemy, or someone you hire, or the original developer, or
whoever and that it's your choice who you ask to do it, with no veto
from the copyright holder: that's free software.
Those are very good questions, and pretty good answers. What are yours?
1) Satisfy your own needs first.
2) Have you ever read the license agreements of the software you use for your livelihood?
1. Figure out why you want to contribute to free software first. Until you know that, any other advice is futile.
2. Do you want to be lord in your own house?